History and Benefits of a Dollhouse/Playhouse for Kids
Dollhouses have been one of the most loved and enchanting items of the toy world. Miniature homes are a way of creating an entirely imaginary world, which is always exciting. This is a fine form of art made with scaled objects.
Modern dollhouses are multiple storied house-like miniature structures with fully furnished rooms i.e living rooms with proper sitting arrangements; multiple seater dining tables; kitchen with all the utensils, oven, and pots; and every other thing that could be in an actual size home. Every child must have a dollhouse growing up. It is not just a toy or a plaything, but also a collectible.
Today, doll houses are usually made for the kids to play with but these were originally made for some other purpose altogether. Dollhouses were primarily made for rich families to represent their ancestral houses on a smaller scale. Later on, these were built for kids to play in.
The oldest sample of a dollhouse can be found in Egyptian pyramids, dating back to at least 5000 years ago. The miniature homes were filled with all the loved belongings of the deceased, for them to enjoy in their afterlives. At that time, these mini houses were mostly created for religious purposes.
The idea of a dollhouse returned in the 16th century when people started to build miniature versions of their family homes to preserve their memories in them. These toy-sized houses reflected their wealth, societal status, and fashion. People used to decorate the rooms with expensive home decors in miniature sizes, exclusive wallpapers, cutleries, etc. They almost expressed their emotions through these dollhouses.
In the 17th century, dollhouses were not only made as a showpiece but also for utilitarian purposes. During this time, dollhouses started to be more practical in design rather than the previous ornamental ones. Elders used these little replicas to teach children how to properly run a house. In Holland and Germany, women built miniature houses to study interior design, fashion, art, and decor.
Not up until the 18th century, dollhouses were being made as playthings for kids. In England, ‘Baby houses’ became extremely popular during this time. Baby houses used to be a replica of the owner's actual home. These were still a way for rich people to show off their wealth. Baby homes were not toy-sized but were slightly bigger so that kids could enter and play in them.
After the industrial revolution, these miniature homes were being mass-produced in factories. Before that, all dollhouses used to be handmade and expensive. Mass production made them more accessible to the common people. Though with increased affordability, the exotic charm of the one-of-a-kind, handmade, exclusive dollhouses, got faded somewhere down the history.
Today, mass-produced dollhouses are indeed used for the kids to play with but some people continue to put together significant and rare dollhouses as collectables.
Benefits of Playing with Dollhouses
Even for adults, playing with a dollhouse for kids is a way of escaping the brutal reality for some moments and indulging ourselves in a happier world with our kids. Dollhouses continue to impress everyone, whether 8 or 80 years old, with their unique charm.
Here are some benefits of playing with a dollhouse for kids:
- It is a form of imaginative play for kids. Playing with a dollhouse is a great opportunity for kids to explore their creativity and imagination.
- A dollhouse can be enjoyed by everyone; age is not the bar here. Although kids aged between 4-12 years old, enjoy it more.
- In the pre-teen years, kids learn to understand the importance of daily activities while playing with a dollhouse. They learn how any household runs on a routine, and how important certain life skills are.
- It improves the sense of social responsibilities in an individual at a very young age. A dollhouse for kids is associated with imaginary neighbours. Hence, kids learn how to deal with other people through playing.
- As it is a form of pretend play, children tend to imitate elders around them. This is a great learning opportunity for the kids to understand basic life skills.
- Pretend play is proven to strengthen the vocabulary of kids. They are more imaginative at a young age, and as responsible adults, we must always encourage them to explore their imagination in a safe environment.
- Dollhouses are most fun when enjoyed in a group. Role-playing in a group helps kids figure out the best-suited alternatives for themselves. Independently figuring out situations and dialogues will give them a sense of confidence.
- In a group activity, kids learn to adjust with others. This group activity helps in critical thinking and develops their problem-solving skills.
There is something special about doll houses that even today a doll house for kids never fail to attract kids and even adults. Most doll houses in the market have been made using toxic plastic as their raw material. This is why Wufiy is a game-changer in the market. Not only all of the toys are made with durable wood but also painted with colors that are safe for kids. They make sure to provide good quality toys to your kids with no sharp ends.